Friday, October 26, 2007

H.R. 900: Puerto Rico Democracy Act of 2007 News


So it looks as though the Puerto Rico status change bill has passed through the House Natural Resources Committee. I am unsure based on what I've been reading if it was just the Subcommittee on Insular Affairs (ick) or not. If it was the whole committee[1], then it'll go before the House as a whole (I think). If not it's about to go before the whole committee. Everything I've read says 'committee' not 'subcommittee.' The major issue with this becoming law is that there's de nada like it in the Senate. The different bills in the Senate haven't had almost any support. On the contrary, there has been quite a bit of support for the House bill: there are as of now 129 cosponsors (70 odd Democrats and around 50 Republicans).

It seems to be encouraging, but I'm still cautious. It'd be great to celebrate a new state.

1. I'd love to know Tancredo's vote on the subject. heh heh heh.

No comments: